Small Business Series
Looking for information and training to develop, launch and/or improve your small business? Community Futures – Shuswap in partnership with Small Business BC are offering a range of small business video conference sessions on an array of business topics. For further information contact Community Futures – Shuswap at 250-803-0156 or 1-877-803-0156.
WorldHost® Training Services Workshops
Community Futures – Shuswap, as a Delivery Organization for WorldHost® Training Services, is part of a planning group that is working towards promoting and facilitating a diversity of WorldHost customer service workshops to assist in establishing the Shuswap as a world class destination with a reputation for outstanding customer service. The following is an overview of the WorldHost Training workshops. If you are interested in finding out more about WorldHost Training, contact our office.
Foundations of Service Excellence
The Foundations of Service Excellence are the essential elements all frontline staff and managers can apply to deliver an exceptional customer service experience.
A one-day workshop teaching front-line employees the skills and techniques comprising the basics of service professionalism. The objectives of the Fundamentals workshop are to:
- Provide an understanding of the importance of excellent customer service
- Assist participants to communicate more effectively and efficiently with customers.
- Assist participants to demonstrate their attentiveness to customer needs.
- Provide participants with an understanding of the social and economic contribution of a healthy tourism industry.
Solving Problems through Service
A 2-3 hour workshop transforming front-line employees into effective problem-solvers. The objectives of the Solving Problems through Service workshop are to assist your employees to understand:
- The value of an anticipatory service approach.
- How to use creative thinking in challenging situations.
- How to say no graciously.
- How to apply a problem-solving approach.
Frontline Management Solutions®
A one-day workshop for managers and supervisors to provide practical information assisting to develop customer service strategies for staff. Frontline Management Solutions® was created by Tourism BC with input from BC businesses in response to identified customer service training needs. Frontline Management Solutions® provides tools and expert solutions to:
- Choose the right person for the job
- Motivate and keep good people
- Be a role model for service
- Manage change
- Take a strategic approach to training and staff development
- Create a positive environment for healthy employee morale
- Learn from other successful BC businesses.
Participants are provided with a binder of practical professional tips, techniques and case studies, and a tool kit to guide you through:
- Screening resumes and successful interviewing
- Recognizing and rewarding
- Gaining group participation
- Correcting the positive way, and much more.
Building Beyond the Foundations
The Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts and WorldHost® Training Services recognize that world-class service is achieved by training beyond the foundations. Our additional workshops allow individuals to understand and address visitors’ diverse needs.
WorldHost Training Services workshops addressing Target Markets and Specific Sectors are offered as complements to Fundamentals and Frontline Management Solutions® and are delivered using the same successful methodology that made WorldHost an internationally recognized program.
Although strongly recommended, the Fundamentals and Frontline Management Solutions® are not pre-requisites for any other WorldHost Training Services workshops.
Workshops for Target Markets
WorldHost Training Services offers unique workshops preparing individuals to provide effective customer service to specific target markets. It is critical to understand the service needs of today’s emerging travel markets and maintain a customer care approach extending beyond cultural norms.
Customers with Disabilities
This half-day workshop is designed to increase front line employees' sensitivity toward people with disabilities, and to provide superior customer service skills respecting every visitor's unique requirements. The objectives of the Customers with Disabilities workshop are to:
- Communicate the unique importance of excellent service to customers with disabilities
- Teach participants appropriate language and protocol
- Provide communication skills and techniques
- Make participants aware of their own feelings, and potential misconceptions and biases
- Help participants recommend appropriate tourist attractions or services.
Service across Cultures
This half-day session increases front-line employees' awareness of the diverse cultures comprising British Columbia's international tourism clientele and focuses on effective communication. The objectives of Service across Cultures are to:
- Increase participants’ awareness of their misconceptions and biases
- Improve participants' communication skills
- Heighten participants' awareness of our shared responsibility to improve cultural relations
- Educate participants about the travel trends of international visitors and their economic contribution to BC.
Japanese Service Expectations
A one-day workshop assisting front-line employees to understand Japanese visitors, their culture and customer service expectations. The objectives of workshop are to:
- Provide an understanding of Japanese travel trends and their economic contribution to BC
- Share some differences and similarities between Japanese and Canadian culture
- Educate participants about key travel needs, preferences and expectations of Japanese visitors
- Provide skills and techniques to overcome language barriers
- Teach basic Japanese words and phrases, and name pronunciation.
Sector Specific Workshops WorldHost
Training Services tailors workshops to specific sectors of the tourism industry, such as retail and volunteers. Among others, Sales Powered by Service and our Ambassador Workshop provide specialized knowledge and distinct skills.
Sales Powered by Service
A 2-3 hour polishing workshop to increase the effectiveness of front-line employees in the tourism and retail sectors. These are effective training tools for anyone dedicated to providing exceptional customer service and can be customised to any business. Presented in a highly interactive, informative and fun learning environment, participants will:
- Review the sales cycle and its influence on customers' purchasing decisions
- Discuss the value of knowing your products/services and your customers’ needs
- Understand the impact of "moments of truth"
- Understand the benefits of selling beyond the basics.
These 3 hour sessions train volunteers as enthusiastic ambassadors for their community. Training includes:
- Knowing more about the event/venue
- Polishing customer service skills
- Learning about community resources.
Your volunteers will come away ready to:
- Deliver outstanding customer service during large-scale events like the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games
- Impart information about a special event or changing infrastructure taking place in your community
- Create a powerful connection for visitors to your community.